Powered by Blogger.






Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blonde VS Brunette

    Photobucket


    Photobucket


    Photobucket


    Photobucket

    Yesterday I saw a picture of Lauren Conrad debuting her new darker hair at an event
    I thought the colour really suited her but did make her look a little older (in a good way though!)

    It got me thinking about how much our hair colour affects the way we look and feel
    Everyone knows the old saying 'Blondes have more fun'
    But is that ever really true or just a myth
    And does hair colour really affect the way we feel about ourselves?


    As a natural brunette i took the long and painstaking process to become a blond when i was about 15
    It took a while to get there but when i did
    It was perfect
    I loved my hair blonde and i actually felt like it flattered my skin tone much more than my own natural colour
    I felt it suited my personality and thankfully i never came up to many 'Dumb Blond jokes'
    But after years of being a blonde and the constant up keep and never ending quest to find my perfect shade (FYI it was Ashley's in the above picture, i never quite got there) I decided to take the plunge and go back to my roots.  Literally
    I was up for a change, i was leaving school and wanted to go all American teen drama and symbolise my new beginning with a new hair colour
    and decided for full on dramatic effect i would go back to brown

    To be honest with you i really never expected it to be such a big change 
    I mean, i thought how much can it really even effect me
    I thought after a few days i would get used to it and not even notice a difference.
    Well it kinda never worked out like that.

    Sitting in the hair dressers chair with four hair colourists around me (They all wanted to see what it looked like, i had drawn a crowd. I should have seen this as red flag number one)
    I genuinely gasped when she pulled the towel off of my hair
    I wasn't that i didn't like it, if anything i thought it made my eyes look bluer and my skin warmer
    But it just didn't feel very 'me'

    (Also to note my feelings weren't helped by one colourist immediately proclaiming to me and the crowded room,' i really don't think you should have done this' I'm still quite proud of myself for not crying at this point,Ha!)

    Over the next few days and weeks i did start to get more used to it but i really felt like i needed a new dramatically different personality to go with it.  I couldn't twirl my blond curls anymore and smile
    I now had serious grown up looking brown curls that didn't even swish
    (OK....so maybe i am being a little dramatic I'm sure they did swish, its maybe because i didn't feel as 'swishy' anymore with my new hair)


    As i sit here writing this with my still brunette hair
    I can truthfully say that i still don't feel like i have settled back into being a brunette 100% even now
    Which is why i am on my way (via some terrible hair dramas, accidental pink hair, brassy orange tints)
    to becoming a blonde (or very very light brunette, still undecided) again
    I am excited to experience blonde hair again and see if i notice a difference this time round
    I know that it will take me a while to get there but hopefully it well be well worth the wait

    So does hair colour change the way you feel about yourself?
    Yep, i can honestly say i think it does
    But that's not to say that its always in a negative way
    I mean, yeah so being a brunette may not be my thing
    But you know what it has been exciting trying
    And do 'Blondes have more fun'
     Personally I think this is a myth, i know my fair share of boring blonde's (and  brunettes, red heads...etc)
    but i do think that being a blonde changes the way that a lot of people see you
    Which in my experience has always been fun....so technically.....In some aspects they may be allowed to get a way with having more fun?

    As i continue my slow quest to be Barbie like blonde again
    I thought i would share some images of our lucky celeb friends who are able to change their hair colour as quick as the seasons change
    I love looking at blonde VS brunette pieces so i thought i would compile one if my own
    So, have your say who looks better with which colour of hair
    I would love to know what you think
    And please do share you stories of your experiences or opinions on the whole 'Blonde VS Brunette' debate too!

    Oh P.S It would be amazing if you could take my survey about 'False advertising in the beauty industry and it's effects'
    It will only take a few min's
    Here is the Link
    Thank you so much, your awesome!
    x
    Source URL: http://dressfashiongirls.blogspot.com/2011/01/blonde-vs-brunette.html
    Visit Dress fashion girls for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Followers